Friday 31 January 2014

Matakana Markets

Last weekend Hannah and I ventured north to Matakana, where every Saturday the entire town turns into a bustling marketplace.

We moseyed around, eating, snacking, and nibbling our way through breakfast and lunch.





You can drop your dogs off while you shop (aren't they adorable). If you've taken a dog to a busy market before you'll appreciate what a lifesaver this little service is.



We loved the Vietnamese stall with the delicious pork and prawn rice paper rolls.




Live music is the perfect accompaniment to the food and drink and offer. 





My favourite dish was the Tarakihi ceviche (no surprises there). It was incredibly fresh, and with parsley, capers, and a bed of lettuce, it was completely different to any other versions I have tried.




We then wandered over to the vintage and craft markets where we found a gorgeous little cafe, a whole lot of amazing antiques and an awesome chair (that I may have accidentally purchased...).










The Matakana markets run every Saturday from about 8am 'till midday. While you do have to battle a bit of traffic, a few prams, and some nasty ATM lines (take cash!), the markets are so much fun, such good value, and definitely worth a visit.


2 comments:

  1. Researched about out of town markets and stumbled here! Such beautiful photos :) and so gutted that I missed this last time I had a trip to Omaha! Def. on my list for the near future x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariska! I hope you get manage to along to them some time soon x

      Delete