Tuesday 6 May 2014

Recipe: Pork Buns

For those of you who have tried the famous pork buns at The Blue Breeze Inn, you'll understand why I was overcome with an urge to recreate them at home. After all, what's better than a pork bun? UNLIMITED PORK BUNS.


Making the buns themselves isn't exactly a piece of cake, but if you follow this recipe closely you should be away laughing.

Ingredients:
Steamed buns (see here for recipe)
Pork belly
1 Tbsp 5 Spice powder
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Sushi vinegar
Spring onions
Coriander
Hoisin sauce
Crushed peanuts



The filling is where I start really enjoying myself though- succulent pork belly topped with crunchy peanuts and tangy pickled cucumber. Oh my.



Order of events:

  1. Prepare the dough for the buns
  2. Slice the cucumber thinly, and then soak in sushi vinegar for at least an hour
  3. For the pork belly:
    • Heat the over to fan grill 175C
    • Score the skin
    • Pour boiling water over skin (easiest done on a rack)
    • Pat dry
    • Rub 5 spice powder, along with salt and pepper on the underside of the belly
    • Salt the skin
    • Cook for about 50 minutes
    • Turn the oven onto grill, and blast the skin for 5 - 10 minutes until it has a good layer of cracking
  4. Prepare your condiments, and chop the spring onion and coriander
  5. While the pork is resting, steam the buns 
  6. As soon as the buns are cooked, pile them high with the hoisin, pork belly, cucumber, coriander, spring onion, and the crushed peanuts.
The last step is easiest of all: eat, eat, and eat some more.








3 comments:

  1. Lovely reiteration of those buns. I love recreating a dish at home. I know if I like something because the next thought I have is, how do I make this at home so that I can eat it all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, these look fantastic. Pork buns just like the Raman Shop serve at the City Markets down here in Wellington.

    I bet that they taste as great as well.

    I have a collection of vinegar, but no sushi vinegar, would I be able to substitute with red wine, rice wine, apple cider vinegar? Or should I go out and find some sushi vinegar?

    I have some pork belly on order and will be smoking on the Weber and will now be making pork buns with it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott! So glad you like the look of them- I promise they did taste good :)

      You can use any white vinegar- rice wine would be great but I would add a dash of sugar to it.

      Good luck with the buns!

      Delete