Wednesday 25 September 2013

Shaky Isles | Terrarium Kingsland

I usually prefer going out for lunch or dinner, but over the past few months I've found myself returning to Shaky Isles in Kingsland for breakfast over and over again. It does help that it's about a minutes stroll up the road from home, but in saying that, Kingsland is bursting with great cafes, yet it's Shaky Isles that has won my heart.



The menu is big, and full of surprises. From childhood reminiscent soft boiled eggs with soldiers to Huevos Rancheros, this menu will knock the pants off your Vogels and Marmite.

To kick off I chose the Acai Super Berry Smoothie, possibly one of the best smoothies I've ever had. No, not possibly, definitely the best. With a sharp tang from the yoghurt, the sweetness of the bananas, and sour berries, this match made in smoothie-heaven is definitely one to try.




James said his flat white was OK, but not fantastic. As a former coffee addict I know how a coffee can make or break your day, so maybe go for a smoothie (did I mention the berry one is good?), or else try their cold brew coffee if you're not willing to risk it.



On a better note, the food was, and always is fantastic. This time I chose the soft boiled eggs with bacon, while James went for a classic eggs benne on brioche, which he reckons is one of the best benedicts around (and I'd believe him because it's the only thing he ever orders).









After gobbling up the last bit of toast, and slurping down my smoothie, it was time to leave. I wasn't quite ready to go back home and do the washing (not at all procrastinating, of course) so I popped into a few of my favourite shops on the way home. I got a surprise heading to one of the stores, discovering that it had been transformed into a new shop named 'Terrarium' by some very talented ladies.











Terrarium is where Lisa from My Deer Fox and Georgia Jay have set up a workshop/retail store showcasing their beautiful handmade bags, bracelets and other amazing treats. The shop is still in the early stages, and they are hoping to get a few more creative types into the space, so it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Most importantly though, the bags are absolutely beautiful, and while I reined myself in by not buying one, I ended up walking out with one of the gorgeous My Deer Fox bracelets which are made to custom order.


I may be biased, but Kingsland is pretty damn awesome, and with more and more places like Shaky Isles and Terrarium popping up, it's certainly worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment