Wednesday 11 December 2013

Prawn Rolls

After our delicious meal at Golden Dawn, Alice and I couldn't get those prawn rolls out of our heads. So, when it was time to throw a dish together for our Christmas lunch, I knew exactly what I was going to (try to) make.


The girls had cheese and crackers at the ready, Pimm's on the go, and a big fat ham in the oven. I showed up late, and in a fluster, but luckily I had a trick up my sleeve; I prepped the filling for the prawn rolls in advance and the rest took only a few minutes to put together.


Prawn Rolls (makes 12)
  • 500 grams cooked prawn or shrimp
  • 1 fresh chilli, finely sliced (red or green)
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2/3 cup Japanese mayonnaise 
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Sriracha is ideal)
  • 3 tablespoons coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • A handful of coriander, roughly chopped
  • 12 par-baked dinner rolls

Mix everything (except the dinner rolls, silly) in a bowl, and chill in the fridge until needed.

Bake the dinner rolls according to the instructions (usually about 5 minutes), slice open, spoon in filling, garnish with more sliced chilli or coriander leaves, and serve while the rolls are still warm.



So easy! It might seem like a bit of an odd recipe, but think of it as a lobster roll/prawn cocktail/ceviche hybrid. I promise it's tasty, and will go down a treat when you next have to whip up a party dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment