Thursday 7 August 2014

The Cav

There is a pub on College Hill that has been around for 150 years. It has seen generations of rugby teams, pool competitions and Friday nights pass by. It has changed names a few times, and even seen the suburb change from Dedwood to Ponsonby.

It's fair to say that The Cav, at it is now know, is an institution.

My flatmates (rugby playing, beer drinking, sports mad boys - you know the type), were horrified to hear that their beloved Cavalier Tavern was having a re-vamp, their biggest concern being whether they would keep the TVs or not (they did). I, on the other hand, was very excited, with the promise of new decor, a new menu, and a whole new re-brand at hand.



When it finally re-opened, the boys put their fears aside and set out to see it. They ordered a beer and a burger, and with a nod of approval settled right in.

After getting the go ahead from the real critics, I've now visited a few times and have been very impressed.  The pub has been completely transformed into a light, airy and modern space, with a trendy menu to match.




Embarrassingly, every time I've eaten there I've chosen the Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. I have an insatiable craving for Buffalo chicken about 95% of the time, so my chances of ordering anything else were slim to none. But why would I need to try anything else? Just look at this beauty! Juicy fried chicken smothered in a delicious sauce, with blue cheese slaw to top it all off. Sadly, the hand cut fries are a bit underwhelming, so I would recommend giving the waiter your best smile and asking to swap for the curly fries.


The new and improved Cav has transformed from a quiet pub to the new trendy place to be. The food is great, the beer selection is vast (though admittedly now more expensive) and the interior is beautiful. Already Friday nights see the pub packed to the brim, and I'm sure the enormous deck will be the spot to be come Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment