Tuesday 9 July 2013

Fred's

Last week it was Bette's, this week it's Fred's; I sound like I'm running an elderly dating agency...which isn't completely out of the question if this food blogging thing doesn't stick.

Now before I get too carried away with Fred and Bette (it ends badly when Fred runs off with Mea Culpa, the little minx), let me tell you about the cafe.

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's is a quirky Ponsonby 'Espresso and Soda Bar' hidden behind a pink door at the top of Franklin Road. For any Ponsonby cafe experts it's where Agnes Curran used to reside (Agnes was Fred's first wife you see). The decor is charming, the menu is exciting and the milkshakes are incredible.

I was in Ponsonby with Alice when we decided to go, and to tell the truth we were actually heading somewhere else but after the 'Salted Caramel Milkshake' sign at Fred's caught my eye the other poor place didn't stand a chance.


Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

It was late afternoon so Alice and I only had a little snack; a chocolate lamington and the salted caramel milkshake for me and a hummingbird cake with the peanut butter chocolate milkshake for Alice.

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

After a serious discussion we decided hers was the better milkshake and I spent the next 10 minutes with milkshake envy, but they were both delicious. Go on, have one and enjoy it knowing it's another 5 months until you have to be in a bikini (ARGH!).

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

The food was amazing too, and I am definitely heading back soon to take a stab at the items on the menu (I couldn't wait that long to tell everyone about it). But I have heard good things about the cooked food, and from what we did have I can bet it's delicious.

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Fred's Cafe Ponsonby

Hopefully the photos will do the talking and convince you that Fred's is worth a visit. I promise, what he lacks in size he makes up in charm and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment