Thursday 18 July 2013

Queenies

Tucked away in a little side street of Freeman's bay is a building covered in vines and full of character- welcome to Queenies.




Queenies was recommended to me by Suzie who works just around the corner from it, although, I don't know whether the staff knowing her by name is a good thing or an indication of her excessive coffee consumption. Nevertheless, when I needed to pick a spot for brunch with a friend, Queenies sprung to mind.



To be honest I don't go out for breakfast that often, usually by the time I've dragged myself out of bed on the weekend it's more like afternoon tea time. However, on this particular Saturday I was feeling unusually sprightly and met up with Julia for breakfast and tea.



Although I was sitting by myself (creepily people watching) for a bit while Julia negotiated the confusing one way streets, we finally found each other and spent about half an hour chatting over tea before even opening the menu. But we got there in the end and after another half an hour of indecision finally made our orders.




I chose the Turkish poached eggs with babaghanoush, yoghurt and hot chilli, while Julia went with tried and true scrambled eggs with a side of lemon butter mushrooms. Julia said her breakfast was good (high praise coming from someone who used to work at a cafe), but we both agreed my breakfast was outstanding. Eggs and yoghurt, who woulda thought? 








I have a real soft spot for small cafes, so on the odd occasions that I do get up in time for breakfast I try to pick a charming little place I've never been before, and Queenies was exactly that.

1 comment:

  1. Yes those Turkish eggs are the best! My favourite breakfast...& i eat out for breakfast quite a lot. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete