Friday 26 July 2013

Mekong Baby

Oh dear, it seems we have a new contender for the best Asian restaurant. Hello Mekong Baby- the new kid on the Ponsonby block.

For the old school foodies, Mekong Baby is where beloved GPK used to reside, but fear not, it's the same owners, they've just thrown in the Italian apron and donned a wok instead.


To be honest, I felt a little guilty going to Mekong Baby, could I really cheat on another certain favourite fusion restaurant down the other end of the street? Ah well, I won't tell if you don't.


After being open for only two weeks, my expectations of Mekong Baby were not high. I walked in with the conceited air of someone who knows that the food could not possibly be that good.

How I was wrong.


After being tended to by friendly, helpful staff we were treated to dish after dish of faultless food. My favourites were the beautiful kingfish sashimi, the lamb ribs, the prawn and mango salad (from someone who thinks fruit and meat together is a crime), and the delectable, sticky pork belly.









With three other foodies in tow we were left in silence with nothing to critique. The mmmm's, ahhh's and nods of approval with wiggly eyebrows said it all. Not bad Mekong Baby, not bad.



Apparently the place has been packed from day one, so call up during the day and lock in your seat for dinner before anyone else finds out about it.

And if you get in quick you can be that smug 'oh I went there like a week ago' person.

No comments:

Post a Comment