Wednesday 15 May 2013

Fresh Pesto Pasta

Before I go rambling on and pretending I am an expert at making pasta I'll admit I didn't even like the stuff until about a year ago. I would end up going around to friends houses for dinner and having spag bol without the spag...which left me with just a bowl of mince and a reputation as a fussy eater.

But now look at me go- pasta machine and everything *smug face*. Anyway, this one is easy peasy to whip up and people will pretty much think you're the next Jamie Oliver if you can make your own pasta.


I made my own pesto for this seeing as I had a whole lot of basil that was about to go to seed, but if you can't be bothered just grab some good quality stuff from the supermarket.

Homemade Basil Pesto

2 cups packed basil leaves
1 cup toasted pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
Olive oil (approx 1/2 cup)
1 cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepper


In a food processor blend the basil, pine nuts and garlic, while slowing pouring olive oil in until it reaches a consistency you like.



I like to leave mine fairly chunky but its up to you. Next stir in the parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste- and you're done!

Fresh Pasta (serves 4)
400 grams flour (use the fancy 00 stuff if you have it)
4 free range eggs

Either chuck it in a blender (if it's not covered in pesto) and blend until it comes together or mix it by hand like I did. Either way it's pretty damn easy.


To mix by hand make a well in the flour for the eggs and with your hands mix them while slowly incorporating the flour. Once it comes together knead it for about 5 minutes or until it's nice and smooth. Wrap in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 20 minutes or so while you clean the flour off the bench/floor/walls/ceiling.


Oh ahh. Divide the mixture into two and run each bit through the pasta machine starting on the thickest setting. Fold it over and take it through again before adjusting the settings gradually down to your desired thickness. I usually take mine down to the second to last setting because on my pasta machine the thinnest setting comes out looking like rice paper.


Next you can either use the cutter attachment on the machine to make it into spaghetti or fettucini, or be rebellious like me and cut it yourself.

To cut it by hand make sure your sheets are very well floured and fold them up into a manageable size. Using a sharp knife cut to your desired width, or get inventive here and make all sorts of shapes.


Toss the pasta in some more flour to separate it and hang whatever you aren't going to use to dry.


Cook your pasta in plenty of salted boiling water for about 3-4 minutes. it doesn't take long at all!

Drain it, chuck it back in the pot and mix it with your pesto (as much as you like, I used about 1 cup)

Plate up and give each serving a big squeeze of lemon juice, a sprinkle of parmesan and some freshly cracked black pepper.


See I told you it was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment