Saturday 18 May 2013

The Blue Breeze Inn

Last night the girls and I ventured into Ponsonby to try out Moo Chow Chow chef Che Barrington's new restaurant The Blue Breeze Inn.

I had pretty high expectations seeing as Moo Chow Chow is one of my favourite restaurants in Auckland and we weren't disappointed. The place was PACKED but the service was great and the waiters were all in Hawaiian shirts- aloha!

With Pacific inspired style decor and a Chinese inspired menu the place is a bit of a mash up, but it's different and it works. 




We had (what feels today like) almost every cocktail on the menu. Like Moo Chow Chow they all had pretty odd ingredients like lemongrass, mace and coriander seeds- unusual but somehow they all taste great. My favourite was La Savage (above) but who can say no to coconuts? 



Every cocktail seemed to come with a rose on top so by the end of the night we pretty much had our own bouquet.





If you wanted pretty photos I'm sorry but Chinese food just ain't that photogenic. Tell you what though it tasted awesome!

We had the sichuan spiced lamb ribs, the twice cooked crispy skinned duck, fried spicy chicken dumplings and some asian greens. Like a lot of Chinese food some of it was a bit greasy, but the flavours made up for it. The duck was a winner for me but the girls preferred the dumplings.

I don't know if it will ever take Moo Chow Chow's place in my heart but The Blue Breeze Inn is a great addition to the Ponsonby strip and I'm sure I'll be back.


An impromptu photoshoot outside the restaurant seemed appropriate. Aren't they beaut?

No comments:

Post a Comment