Wednesday 22 May 2013

Travel Diaries- Melbourne


Melbourne is one of my FAVOURITE cities, and conveniently it's only a few hours across the ditch.

It has a great culture full of arty types and hipsters (NB: must wear cool clothes at all times, or clothes so uncool that they are ironically cool. Get ma drift?).

The first time I ventured to Melbourne was on a school design trip and it won my heart. I was lucky enough to be taken to art galleries such as the National Gallery of VictoriaAustralian Centre for Moving Image (ACMI) and the Centre for Contemporary Photography.



All of the galleries were amazing and I thoroughly recommend taking a shopping break to check them out, but- if you're not ready to commit to all three then at least check out whats on at the ACMI in Federation Square and I guarantee (well, hope) that you wont regret it. The last time I visited they were hosting the international Disney exhibition and I spent hours and hours wandering through a history of all of our favourite childhood cartoons. To me that was more beautiful than any painting!

The real reason I go to Melbourne however, is for the food. Food, glorious FOOD! From the bustling Queen Victoria Markets to the hidden rooftop bars and restaurants- Melbourne does food and they do it well. 



I've had some of my favourite meals in Melbourne, but I'll try and narrow it down to a few of my top picks....

Number 1 (and rightly so): Tucked away on Flinders Lane Chin Chin is a must-do for Thai food lovers. It's like a cross between Moo Chow Chow and heaven. Please go. 

Number 2: Mexican foodie paradise on Collins St Mama Sita had a line out the door for a reason.This is the place to go for fantastic authentic Mex with a trendy Melbourne hipster tapas style twist. The Sangria was good too they tell me. 

Number 3: I haven't been to Cookie in over a year so I hope it's as good as I remember. Great cocktails, fantastic fusion food and stumbling down the stairs distance from Rooftop Bar and Cinema.






Honorary mentions: 

The Croft Institute - a bar that needs to be seen to be believed. With its mental asylum theme it's not your usual watering hole. Hidden down one of the many alleyways in China Town this is notoriously difficult to find but well worth the adventure. 

Madame Brussels - Yeah yeah I know it's a bit touristy but it's still pretty freakin' awesome. With waiters dressed in sailor boy outfits and jugs of pink cocktails this is definitely one for a girls night out!



I hope these tips are helpful for anyone Melbourne bound! Go to a few of these places and you'll have a smile like my friend Liv here. Happy eating!

P.S. Photo's taken on my Lomography Diana F+ with B&W 35mm film


2 comments:

  1. Your blog is just awesome... and like to congrats you for your writing and trip.... Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw thanks Max! Glad you like it (and quite shocked people are reading it!)

    ReplyDelete